This year Gravesham Borough will be commemorating the 150th anniversary of the death of famous author Charles Dickens who has many connections with the borough and spent the later part of his life at Gad’s Hill Place in Higham. Gravesham is developing a programme of events, walks and exhibitions. This will include:
- An interactive walk with characters through Cobham Village on Saturday 6 June
- A brand new play by the Dickens’ Theatre company with performances held at Gad’s Hill Place throughout May and June
- Tours of Gad’s Hill Place
- A Dickens’ Quotes Project – we want to encourage the public to submit their favourite Dickens’ quotation, via social media and other channels and to supplement these with others with the aim of selecting 150 quotations that are then displayed in different, some unexpected, locations, sizes and forms around the borough.
- A Dickens’ Exhibition during May/June at the Blake Gallery
- Art Workshops in various venues
- An exhibition at the Old Curiosity Shop in Gravesend Market