Dont miss this oppotunity to visit this acient rural church and veiw the uniquely complete Victorian wall paintings.
St Peter and St Paul is the small and ancient church of the tiny downland parish of Luddesdowne in north west Kent. The church, with a late Norman house and attendant farm, clustered among old trees at the head of two, long, raking valleys, is still a focal point of a scattered community of some two hundreds souls, little larger than it was when the Domesday surveyors of 1086 recorded ‘a church here’.
The history of Luddesdowne Church, post-Conquest, is poorly documented and has to be read against the fate of the Norman knights and their successors who acquired the manor.
Following the church reforms of Henry III, many noblemen rebuilt their own small, cramped manorial churches, and this probably happened in Luddesdowne, where the earliest verifiable fabric, seen in the north and west walls, dates from the thirteenth century.
Luddesdowne has three rare medieval bells, among the oldest still in use in Kent. They were restored in 1972 by the famous Whitechapel Bell Foundry (formerly Mears and Stainbank), who also cast three new bells, dedicated to St. Peter, St. Paul and St. Margaret. These were installed in 1973, providing the church with a chime of six.
The Church is open Saturday and Sunday throughout July, August & September.